Date: Wednesday, September 15, 2021
Time: 9:00am-11:00 am PT / 10:00am-12:00pm MT/ 12:00pm-2:00pm ET
Location: Online – Registration is complimentary
>> ICI pour la version française <<
The circular economy has significant potential to help meet global sustainability goals, address local environmental priorities, support net zero and climate change objectives, and deliver economic returns. However, the financing of circular solutions faces challenges.
This World Circular Economy Forum 2021 (WCEF2021) Accelerator Session will focus on advancing and scaling up circular financing, from the global to the local level. Financing the Circular Economy Transition will begin with a global view of circular finance opportunities and challenges curated by the United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI), followed by an in-depth look at local Canadian applications and case studies curated by Circular Economy Leadership Canada (CELC).
Powered by GLOBE Series, this outcomes-oriented virtual session will focus on keyframing questions including:
- Despite a lack of harmonized frameworks, taxonomies, and metrics, what circular financing solutions are being implemented today?
- How can we accelerate the scale-up of circular finance within the financial sector, to financial institutions not yet actively involved in circular financing, and across the supply chain, including SMEs?
- What are the potential returns and associated risks of investing in circular products, services, and solutions?
- How can we leverage the intersection of circular economy with broader ESG investment opportunities, the UN SDGs, net-zero climate commitments, and green economic recovery objectives?
Part one of the session will be a globally focused panel featuring a diversity of views on financing the circular economy. Speakers include:
Part two of the session will feature a series of interviews focused on financing the circular economy in Canada, featuring a range of Canadian financial institution perspectives. Speakers include:
- Michelle Bonner, Community Investment Portfolio Manager, Vancity
- Michela Gregory, Director ESG Services, NEI Investments
- Jonathan Hackett, Co-Head, Energy Transition Group and Head, Sustainable Finance and Managing Director, BMO Capital Markets
- Gildas Poissonnier, Director, Sustainability and Responsible Finance, Desjardins
- (Moderator) Elizabeth Shirt, Managing Director, GLOBE Series
We also want to hear from you. Come ready to engage and share your thoughts on how we can accelerate circular finance in Canada and around the world.
The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Environment and Climate Change Canada.