GLOBE Series is a dynamic, growth-oriented entrepreneurial company based in Vancouver serving an international community of business professionals with industry conferences and related activities focused on sustainability and environmental business opportunities (www.globeseries.com). The GLOBE event series was established in 1990, and has evolved into the preeminent forum for sustainability-related professionals. Each of the iconic GLOBE conferences attracts thousands of thought-leaders from more than 50 countries every two years to Vancouver. As such, it is the largest and longest-running environmental business conference in the world, convening senior level executives from corporations of every sector, as well as top government policy and regulators, environmental technology and service providers, influential NGOs, financiers, international agencies, academics and more.
As we embark on a new phase of the GLOBE Series, including the launch of new events and industry-related strategic endeavors, we are actively seeking exemplary talent to help us maintain our lead as the world’s most important environmental business event Series.
Current Open Positions at GLOBE Series:
- Conference Program Manager
Conference Program Manager
Term of Position: Permanent Full Time
Reporting to: Nancy Wright, Chief Operating Officer
Starting Date: June 13, 2016
Location: Flexible but preference is Vancouver, British Columbia
The Conference Program Manager (“Program Manager”) is responsible for the overall development and execution of the Conference Program for our new GLOBE Capital event series (April 2017 in Toronto) and our flagship international GLOBE Series event held every two years in Vancouver (next in 2018).
The Program Manager is responsible for researching and identifying current global environment, financial and business-related trends, organizations, and industry leaders; as well as managing speaker communications and outreach, and subsequent Conference-related onsite logistics for all GLOBE Series events.
For the past 25 years, the flagship GLOBE event Series has served as the nexus for global networking and leadership on the business of the environment. Established in Vancouver in 1990, the Series has grown to be the world’s largest and most influential environmental business summit and embedded Innovation Expo. The main GLOBE event draws nearly 2000 of the ‘best and brightest’ international sustainable business thought leaders from more than 50 countries, making it the essential strategic sustainability event for not only Canada but North America and the world.
Our new GLOBE Capital event series will be a thought-leaders’ platform for approximately 400 senior executives and government officials to engage in strategic conversations around creative finance, economic, policy and business mechanisms that are required to transform to a low carbon economy. More specifically GLOBE Capital will delve into the mechanisms, barriers and opportunities emerging around large-scale strategic infrastructure investment that will be required to transform our cities, construct necessary adaptation measures, and develop large-scale low and no-carbon energy and transportation systems.
The role requires a very well-organized and detail-oriented person who is also a strategic-thinker, and is able to work both independently and as part of a cohesive team. The Program Manager also requires exceptional communication skills (verbal and written), the ability to multi-task and work to deadlines, and a polished, diplomatic nature in dealing with a wide range of senior executives and their staff from private, public, non-profit, and academic sector organizations from around the world.
The Program Manager will manage a Program Coordinator and will report directly to the COO.
- Work closely with GLOBE COO, and CEO to manage the event’s strategic direction and all related Conference program development activities.
- With support from the Program Coordinator, lead extensive research on current trends, issues, and key players related to GLOBE Series Conference topics (e.g. infrastructure finance, clean energy, responsible resource management, resilient cities, corporate sustainability, etc.);
- Define leading-edge topics to be addressed at various events and develop compelling and innovative session titles, descriptions, and formats as part of the program development initiatives;
- Identify potential speakers with input from GLOBE team and partners, and position speakers into sessions;
- Present program sessions, speakers and formats to GLOBE Senior Management Team for review, and subsequent marketing and partner engagement
- Recruit senior business executives, government officials, and thought leaders from around the world;
- Draft speaker / keynote invitation letters and follow-up on outstanding invitations as required (with support from the Program Coordinator);
- Manage communications with potential and confirmed speakers including invitations, confirmations, and requirements, and serve as overall speaker liaison – this will include communicating directly with senior executives and their staff in corporations and governments via phone, letter, and email on issues surrounding their participation at the events;
- Report regularly to senior management on the current state of the working program and relevant speaker/session statistics (demographic mix of speakers, number of invitations outstanding, speakers confirmed, etc).
- Work with COO to help facilitate speaker connections to enable session sponsorship.
- Oversee Program Coordinator to manage: speaker tracking, bio/photo collection, on-line session edits, updating team of new speaker confirmations, etc.
- Work closely with Marketing to ensure current program information is handed off to populate website and for use in communications outreach.
- Manage quality control for all website and marketing materials related to the overall conference program;
- Manage onsite operations and logistics related to conference programming, including the onsite Speaker Services Centre during the week of the GLOBE Conference event; and
- Oversee training for new conference program personnel (as required).
Knowledge, Skill & Education Requirements
- A university degree in business, marketing/communication, environmental studies (or equivalents).
- At least three years of project management or related experience.
- Independent, strategic thinker able to work well in teams and under pressure in order to meet challenging deadlines.
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) and a diplomatic nature. Written and verbal fluency in English and solid business writing skills are essential.
- Strong ability for research using internet-based and other sources, to consolidate information into concise findings, and effectively communicate results.
- Detailed oriented, can multi-task and manage a large number of moving parts.
- As event production is cyclical in nature, an ability to work long hours at peak times in the program development cycle will likely be necessary (for larger projects, this can realistically be 3-4 months);
- Working knowledge around a broad range of sustainability related issues (e.g. stakeholder engagement, CSR reporting, corporate strategy development, climate change, water, etc.)
- Candidates must possess either experience designing conference programming or at least two years’ experience in or related to the sector with a knowledge of sustainability-related business issues.
- Strong understanding of finance (particularly related to large infrastructure) for developing our GLOBE Capital program is a definite asset;
- French and other language skills are always useful as our speakers are multi-national.
You and the Company
- This is not a travel heavy position, but minimal travel may be required.
- The event industry is cyclical in nature, therefore deadlines are hard and hours are guaranteed to be longer in the final weeks leading up to an event. Flexibility to accommodate this is essential. The flip side – it’s an exciting time. Think of adrenalin as your friend.
- Although the work is fast-paced, we strive hard to maintain a working environment that is warm, innovative, inspiring, and maximizes employee engagement. We value your talent, and are committed to nurturing the professional and personal growth of all staff.
- GLOBE Series offers a professional environment where people can work smart and lead balanced lives. We want you to thrive. Although we like to keep the team cohesive by encouraging as much face-to-face time as possible, as long as you continue to produce stellar work, flex-time working and work-from-home options are possible.
Because we’re a relatively small outfit, everyone’s opinion counts. We expect our staff to help build the best culture possible to encourage happiness and productivity.
If you're interested in working with our team, please submit a cover letter with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.