Cristian Barcan’s past efforts in promoting and teaching sustainable development guidelines and whole-chain traceability practices have brought him recognition from global food market chain participants, trade organizations, and various government associations. As a result, Cristian is frequently invited as a speaker at various sustainability and food safety trade shows, conferences, and events around the world.
Cristian has an extensive sustainability and traceability experience built over the past decade as a global sustainability project manager for BASF Nutrition & Health. Educated in Mathematics and Computer Science, over the years Cristian has held various other project and business management positions in Information Technologies, Business Management, Electronic Commerce, Marketing, and Human and Animal Nutrition.
A selective list of accomplishment over the years includes:
- Creating, implementing, and globally managing SET – a BASF Nutrition & Health service focused on helping brand owners creating and marketing more sustainable consumer goods.
- Initiating membership and active leadership support as part of the BASF team in the Wal-mart initiated and industry supported Sustainability Consortium.
- Speaking engagement as key note speaker or panelist at various global food industry conferences such as IFT, AgriFood, Supply Side West, Consumer Goods Forum, GS1, Sustainable Brands, Asia Pacific Business & Sustainability Council, Grocery Manufacturing Association, VIV, Food Safety Summit, Food Traceability Summit, etc.
- Initiated together with IFT a US National Traceability Initiative meant to provide guidelines for achieving interoperability across the entire food supply chain.
- Core team participation in drafting the GS1 Global Traceability Standards together with other organizations such as Nestlé, Wal-Mart, Syngenta, Carrefour, Procter & Gamble, Canadian Produce Marketing Association, Grocery Manufacturers Association of America, Food Marketing Institute, etc.
- Various sustainability and whole-chain traceability focused discussions with top leaders at FDA, USDA, Department of Homeland Security, EPA, National agencies of various countries in Asia Pacific and Australia, and the European Union.