Location: Any of CBSR’s current office locations (Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa)
- Strategy & Governance: develop annual strategic and program plan; oversee plans, programs, and policies to support strategy and mission; report quarterly to the CBSR board
- Program Development & Execution: oversee development of program plans and execution, including working groups, program groups, policy briefs, events, webinars, consulting activities and peer to peer learning; be prepared to lead/facilitate/moderate working sessions as appropriate; collaborate with other senior leaders across Profoundry to ensure successful and high value-add CBSR programming
- Membership Relations & Development: engage with current and potential members to build and nurture trusting relationships and add value; take the initiative and also collaborate with Profoundry shared services sales and marketing to grow CBSR membership
- Team Leadership & Culture: lead highly motivated 3-person team, fostering collaborative and inclusive culture; leverage effectively and respectfully the shared resources available through the Profoundry shared service model; collaborate with peers and team members across the Profoundry group of organizations
- Advocacy & Thought Leadership: become champion and spokesperson for CBSR; promote CBSR as a thought leader: advocate for sustainability and social responsibility issues; leverage and showcase Profoundry subject matter experts and organizations through CBSR programming, events, and engagements
- Operations & Budget Management: develop and manage annual CBSR budget and operations; manage budgetary risks and opportunities
CBSR is seeking a dynamic and innovative Executive Director with a proven track record of leadership, a commitment to sustainability, and a belief in the power of corporate Canada to drive ambitious and meaningful positive change.
To be set up for success, you will bring a passion for sustainability, social responsibility, and the mission of advancing corporate sustainability. You will also bring strong knowledge relating to corporate sustainability and exposure to ESG, and as a core transferable skill, the ability to balance the external and internal elements of this role. Since the CBSR membership is made up of industry leaders across a variety of sectors, you will need to be comfortable with a high level of engagement in this private sector arena.
Relevant and interesting potential backgrounds for this role could include: sustainability or climate change consulting; in-house corporate sustainability leadership roles; a leadership role in a membership organization with a sustainability-related mandate of some kind (industry or advocacy); a non-profit or charitable organization with a focus on social or environmental impact.
In terms of specific skills, professional style and experience, CBSR seeks an effective combination of the following attributes:
Skills & Style
- Motivated to contribute to a purpose-driven mandate; excited by the mission of CBSR
- Aligned to the values and culture of CBSR
- Strategic thinker with the ability to drive innovative and impactful initiatives
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders and foster productive relationships with corporate leaders
- Strong networking, negotiation, and advocacy skills
- Values-driven leader and excellent manager of nimble, high performing teams
- Highly collaborative and thrives in a team-oriented culture
- An outstanding relationship and network builder who really enjoys this key element of the role, and is comfortable in one-to-one, small-group and large-group interactions
- Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written) are essential; French language proficiency is highly desirable but not a pre-requisite
- Leadership of a functional team, including oversight of people, resources, and budget
- Project or program development and delivery experience
- Direct experience working on environmental sustainability and/or social justice opportunities and challenges
- Experience in a membership organization or a non-profit/charitable entity with a social justice or environmental mandate would be relevant and welcome; as mentioned earlier, in-house corporate sustainability leadership or a relevant consulting background would also be of interest
To Learn More or Apply
CBSR has entrusted Elaine Grotefeld at Latitude Cleantech Search to help them recruit for this important role.
If you are ready to apply, please submit your cover letter/resume through the CBSR recruitment portal at http://delphi.zohorecruit.com and complete the associated pre-screening assessment. The pre- screening assessment clarifies the essentials of a candidate’s experience/skills for the role and mitigates any unconscious identity bias during our initial screening process. During this assessment, you should avoid including any identifying information, such as references to gender, geographic location, nationality, and/or age. This anti-bias exercise takes approximately 2 minutes to complete. If you pass the initial pre-screening, your cover letter/resume will be reviewed by Elaine at Latitude Cleantech Search, and she will respond to all who reach this stage. If you have specific questions or would like to learn more before applying, please contact Elaine Grotefeld directly through linked in or on email@example.com. Please use CBSR Executive Director in the subject line.