Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Type: Full Time
About GLOBE Series
GLOBE Series is a dynamic, entrepreneurial B2B company serving an international community. We provide our clientele with industry conferences, events, and business opportunities focused on sustainability, climate change and clean technology. Established in 1990, our flagship event, GLOBE Forum, is the largest and longest-running environmental business conference in North America, attracting thousands of delegates from over 50 countries to Vancouver.
GLOBE Series is committed to developing, implementing, and maintaining best practices and strategies to enhance equality, diversity and inclusion representing all persons from visible and non-visible minorities and persons with disabilities. We make this commitment at all stages of the employment life cycle to support a sense of inclusion for employees at all levels of the organization, ensuring everyone feels comfortable bringing themselves to work and contributing from a place of respect and feeling valued. Our organization can only be strengthened by our ability to harness the richness and strength of our diversity.
GLOBE Series is looking for a full-time Managing Director to oversee our Vancouver office and our slate of internal and external events to ensure client satisfaction, smooth event execution, and communication among key team members. This position will require management of team members of varying levels of experience and skill, vendor partnerships, client budgets, and timelines. The Managing Director will be expected to deliver our full slate of events on time, on budget, and beyond client expectations.
Who You Are
As the successful candidate you are a proven leader with extensive knowledge and experience with managing large teams. You are a positive and experienced project manager who values team work, with an open and collaborative communication style. You are strategic in your outlook, with experience developing budgets, projects, and strategic plans. You are an effective communicator who is able to leverage your network for new business opportunities.
- Responsible for accomplishing the goals and objectives of GLOBE’s plan and vision
- Oversee the Corporate function elements of the organization including human resources and finance
- Oversee all facets of large events such as GLOBE Forum as well as the implementation of client events and smaller internal events. This will entail working with the leads of each functional area – including logistics, marketing and communications, programming and sponsorship – across the company to ensure:
- Each event/project is budgeted correctly, and resources are allocated accordingly
- Project tasks, milestones and deadlines are determined and communicated, and all elements of the event are executed in a timely fashion and on budget. This includes tracking time and expenses against the budget so that appropriate adjustments can be made within and across teams and activities
- Continuous and effective communication with the client during event implementation and delivery, as well as functional leads and critical team members
- Ensure accountability for cost control and budget management
- Manage and coordinate responses to formal Request for Proposals and write and present proposals to prospective clients and contacts for sponsorship and related engagements
- Interface between GLOBE Series and the client when delivering an event for an external organization
- Supervise and coordinate internal staff and external vendors to ensure the ongoing progress of activities towards achievements of objectives and expected results
- Maintain regular and transparent communication with project team; initiate team meetings when required, monitor staff efforts to ensure projects stay on budget and on time
- Maintain a leadership role and motivate staff while ensuring a positive corporate culture at GLOBE Series
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience managing multiple large and smaller scale events (conferences/expositions ideal) and related project teams
- Proven leadership ability and management track record with 10 or more years of relevant professional experience in a senior management role
- Significant experience in successfully managing an organization with multiple stakeholders and professionals
- Ability to think strategically and manage effectively with excellent analytical skills, good decision-making ability, exceptional team building and management skills
- Demonstrated success leading organizational change
- Expertise across multiple areas of event management (logistics, partnership development, marketing and communications etc.) is an asset
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated excellence working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and solve problems on the fly
- Ability to assess and manage risk
- Leadership and strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy essential
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills and the ability to manage client expectations, demands and concerns
- Strong financial and budgeting skills, with expertise in Microsoft Excel and project management software such as Microsoft Project
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a sense of humour
Please include your resume and cover letter with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
GLOBE Series is an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put into place.