Type: Permanent, full-time
Location: Ottawa or Montreal
GLOBE Series is seeking a Manager of Innovation and B2B Services who will be responsible for the overall execution of the Business to Business Services Program for all GLOBE Series events including GLOBE Forum, GLOBE Capital, and contracted events. This is a full-time, permanent job reporting to the Director of Innovation and based in either Ottawa or Montreal, Canada.
GLOBE Series and The Delphi Group are part of a constellation of organizations that also includes the EXCEL Partnership and Leading Change. Each of these organizations has its own mission, services and platforms, but we work together toward a common purpose: to achieve a sustainable, prosperous and socially just future in a generation.
GLOBE Series convenes sustainability focused events like GLOBE Capital and GLOBE Forum, among others; The Delphi Group provides sustainability consulting services; the EXCEL Partnership brings together Canadian corporate leaders on key sustainability issues; and Leading Change accelerates young professional leadership in sustainability.
We value and are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and programs. This commitment includes developing and implementing strategies to ensure the inclusion of persons from visible and non-visible minorities and persons with disabilities. We foster an inclusive workplace culture in which every individual feels welcome, respected, valued and supported at all stages of the employment life cycle.
The Manager of Innovation and B2B Services is responsible for the overall execution of the Business to Business Services Program for all GLOBE Series events including GLOBE Forum, GLOBE Capital, and contracted events. The objective of this program is to deliver during GLOBE’s events transactional activities (i.e. pitch competitions, hackathons, innovation challenges, curated matchmaking) that connect innovators to investors and buyers and ultimately accelerate the commercialization and adoption of clean technologies and the transition to a clean economy.
The successful candidate should have a solid understanding and experience delivering high quality events/tradeshows/expositions, along with knowledge of Canada’s cleantech industry, related business transactions (buyer-supplier-investor-government policy), exceptional interpersonal and project management/coordination skills, and be comfortable with multi-tasking and working in a high-paced environment.
Responsible for developing and executing strategies and activities tailored to each event, the Manager of Innovation and B2B Services will manage budgets, engage target audiences, identify and convert potential business opportunities, analyze program’s performance, competitor activity, improve existing processes, and work closely with the Director of Innovation and other GLOBE team members in scaling the program to deliver on corporate objectives.
The role requires a diplomatic strategic thinker that is highly organized and detail-oriented, has good problem-solving skills, an eye for business opportunities and the ability to work under pressure both independently and as part of a cohesive team.
The Manager of Innovation and B2B Services will report to the Director of Innovation on day-to-day tasks and professional development. He/she will be accountable to the GLOBE Senior Management Team for Business to Business Services Program development.
- Overall responsibility for the execution of the Business to Business Services Program
- Drives the development and implementation of robust strategies that supports the growth and success of the program
- Develops programming activities aligned with event vision
- Leads on research, identification and management of all target audiences (corporates, investors, clean technology companies, government)
- Manages program budget
- Works closely with other teams and leads B2B program meetings
- Improves existing processes and develop new ones as required
- Measure and analyze performance and impact achieved
- Reports on KPIs, market insight, what has worked and has not
- Activates GLOBE Senior Management Team to pursue connections and partners in support of your effort
- Works closely with Director of Innovation to:
- Leverage existing relations and partnerships to inform and improve programming and maximize revenue generation
- Develop program strategy, structure and brand various properties/activities
- Identify and convert business opportunities
- Continue to innovate and create value for sponsors, partners and participants
- Advises and coordinates with other teams to ensure seamless integration and maximize impact
- Works closely with Operations Manager to ensure successful execution within budget and timelines
- Onsite event management
- Manages operations and logistics related to B2B programming
- Directs and oversees staff and volunteers as they pertain to programming
- Proven understanding of business to business transaction between buyers and suppliers of innovative or startup technologies.
- Sales/business development experience is a definite asset
- A solid ‘people person’ with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Cleantech sector knowledge and/or experience, along with an aptitude for technology commercialization, deployment and export paths is a great value
- A willingness to play match-maker and undertake administrative tasks to catalyze business development and establish strong partnership that will enhance the value of the transactional activities to our customers and the bottom-line, makes the perfect candidate.
- Strong project management skills – organized and time sensitive, able to drive toward deadlines with minimal supervision
- Team motivator and experience building, managing and working collaboratively with teams
- Good partnership builder/ negotiator
- Potentially able to speak multiple languages in addition to English
- Good domestic and/or international networks (especially in the cleantech space) in order to hit the ground running
- Large event and trade fair management experience (on an international level) a significant asset.
- Strategic mindset – able to see the big picture while also detail oriented