The Innovation Expo Director will be responsible for executing the GLOBE Innovation Expo Strategic Plan for GLOBE Forum 2018.
This is an exciting time at GLOBE Series. We are growing our leadership team and expanding our presence and influence, as we launch new products and events, and roll out one of the largest Sustainability Conferences and Innovation Expos in the World – GLOBE Forum 2018 in Vancouver March 14-16, 2018.
The Innovation Expo Director is a leadership position on our management team that will be responsible for:
- Executing the GLOBE Innovation Expo Strategic Plan for GLOBE Forum 2018, 2020, 2022…Our vision is for the GLOBE Innovation Expo to become the most transactional cleantech and sustainability-focused innovation event in North America.
- Working with senior management to design and oversee the delivery of new Innovation Expos planned for other events such as GLOBE Capital 2019 and beyond (see www.globeseries.com).
This role will involve overseeing the development and implementation of all aspects of the GLOBE Innovation Expo, including but not limited to the presentation theatre(s), business to business (B2B) activities and tools, attracting and program delivery for incoming trade missions of buyers, suppliers and investors, pitch sessions, site tours etc. This role will also have oversight of Innovation Expo booth sales and sponsorship.
The successful candidate will be required to coordinate with the GLOBE Series’ marketing, sales, sponsorship, program and operational teams, along with Delphi staff, government and private sector stakeholders, B2B sponsors, supporters, partners, suppliers, exhibitors, buyers and conference delegates.
The successful candidate should have a solid understanding and experience delivering high quality tradeshows/expositions, along with knowledge of Canada’s cleantech industry, related business transactions (buyer-supplier-investor-government policy), exceptional interpersonal and project management/coordination skills, and be comfortable with multi-tasking and working in a high-paced environment.
The Innovation Expo Director will report to the SVP Innovation, while working closely with the entire team and in particular the Conference Program Director, VP Operations, Director of Marketing, COO and CEO. The successful candidate will also be expected to help out in other areas as requested (e.g. proposal development, on-site management, etc.), participate in the company’s corporate social responsibility activities and undertake other tasks as required given the dynamic small business environment.
Position: Innovation Expo Director
Term of Position: Full time permanent
Reporting to: SVP Innovation
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Start Date: August 15, 2017
- Execute on the Expo Strategic Plan and be able to revise action items and adjust targets as necessary to be successful.
- Oversee Expo sales and support sales team as required.
- Coordinate with the internal GLOBE team (VP Operations, Program Director, COO, etc.) in line with Strategic objectives and targets.
- Reach out to key customers and partners (public and private sector) to document and understand their business objectives and interests around GLOBE, and take responsibility for initiating value-add and increasing the transactional focus of the innovation expo.
- Work with a variety of cleantech innovation groups (eg. MaRS, SDTC, Foresight, Alberta Innovates, CleanTech Alliance, GreenTech Exchange, etc.) to ensure engagement, integration, and support (marketing, financial, etc.).
- Develop an understanding of key pain points/challenges and technology and service needs of stakeholders and promote these to the ‘solution provider’ community and ecosystem partners (financiers/ investors, industry associations, etc.)
- Deliver exceptional customer service and go above and beyond to ensure our clients achieve their objectives at the event (eg. orchestrating active match-making for buyers/sellers, facilitating opportunities for exhibitors to deliver pitch presentations, etc.)
- Communicate with Expo partners and customers well ahead of the event to build awareness and start/continue the dialogue pre and post event.
- Liaise with government and country pavilion leads to enhance and thread their Expo participation into other elements of the event for value-add (i.e. working with senior management team to evaluate big picture strategy to tie in potential sponsorship, conference participation via delegations, bi-lateral meetings for accompanying Ministers, etc.)
- Work with key Trade Commissioners to support their efforts to recruit country delegations, and input market intelligence into Conference program development.
- Look for synergies for ongoing partnership and business development opportunities for GLOBE Series and Delphi Group beyond GLOBE 2018.
- Design program elements of the Expo, alongside the Conference Program Director, to add value to the Expo’s transactional nature (e.g. Theatre programming, B2B, pitch sessions, site visits / tours, etc).
- Support the development and implementation of a performance monitoring and measurement system for the GLOBE Innovation Expo.
- Work with VP Operations and on-site logistics staff to ensure the expo activities all run smoothly (e.g., Challenge-Pitch) before, during and potentially after the event.
- Liaise regularly with the COO, Program Director, Registration, and Sales Team, and Delphi Staff as required.
- Support the development of proposals to sponsors or partners.
- Proven understanding of business to business transaction between buyers and suppliers of innovative or startup technologies.
- Sales/business development experience (and sales team management) or training is a definite asset
- A solid ‘people person’ with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Cleantech sector knowledge and/or experience, along with an aptitude for technology commercialization, deployment and export paths is a great value
- A willingness to play match-maker and undertake administrative tasks to catalyze business development and establish strong partnership that will enhance the value of the Innovation Expo to our customers and the bottom-line, makes the perfect candidate.
- Strong project management skills – organized and time sensitive, able to drive toward deadlines with minimal supervision
- Team motivator and experience building, managing and working collaboratively with teams
- Good partnership builder/ negotiator
- Potentially able to speak multiple languages in addition to English (such as some of the following: French, Spanish, German, Mandarin)
- Good domestic and/or international networks (especially in the cleantech space) in order to hit the ground running
- Large event and expo/trade fair management experience (on an international level) a significant asset.
- Strategic mindset – able to see the big picture while also detail oriented
Send your cover letter and resume to Nancy Greene, Director, Operations & Finance, GLOBE Series, email@example.com. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.