Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Type: Full Time
About GLOBE Series
GLOBE Series is a dynamic, entrepreneurial B2B company serving an international community. We provide our clientele with industry conferences, events, and business opportunities focused on sustainability, climate change and clean technology. Established in 1990, our flagship event, GLOBE Forum, is the largest and longest-running environmental business conference in North America, attracting thousands of delegates from over 50 countries to Vancouver.
GLOBE Series is committed to developing, implementing, and maintaining best practices and strategies to enhance equality, diversity and inclusion representing all persons from visible and non-visible minorities and persons with disabilities. We make this commitment at all stages of the employment life cycle to support a sense of inclusion for employees at all levels of the organization, ensuring everyone feels comfortable bringing themselves to work and contributing from a place of respect and feeling valued. Our organization can only be strengthened by our ability to harness the richness and strength of our diversity.
The Director, Event Logistics will support our CEO and Managing Director in the development, operation, and evaluation of all GLOBE Series events. The successful candidate will direct the operations for multiple large and small-scale events with competing deadlines. The Director will be responsible for developing and executing strategic logistics plans for all of our projects, and coordinating the work of suppliers to ensure each event is delivered effectively and on-budget. The Director will also support the GLOBE Series leadership team in developing new events and expanding the influence of existing events.
Who You Are
As the successful candidate you are a proven event organizer with extensive knowledge and experience with managing large and complex events. You are a positive and experienced leader who values team work, with an open and collaborative communication style. You are a proactive multi-tasker, always looking for new business opportunities. You are a saavy negotiator, who protects the interests of your event, while building positive relationships with vendors, contractors, and clients.
- Develop highly detailed critical paths/logistics plans and logistics budgets for all events.
- Source suppliers to deliver logistics components (for example, A/V, transportation, material handling, construction, event decor, registration, exhibit design, security, entertainment, equipment rental, special effects, etc.). This will often require the development and distribution of RFPs.
- Negotiate with vendors and suppliers, and come up with creative solutions with an eye to decreasing event costs.
- Negotiate and manage all vendor contracts, including hotel/convention space, audiovisual contractors, and others as necessary to ensure the space meets our needs.
- Oversight of, and accountability for, all logistics-related event budgets, and for ensuring PO’s are submitted in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the efforts of multiple external suppliers and contractors.
- Negotiate and manage hotel blocks for event participants.
- Oversee food and beverage for events as required.
- Apply for US Commercial Service Certification when required; provide insurance documentation to venues as needed.
- Develop with input from the team the vision for the look, feel, flow, and ‘experiential’ elements of our expos from a creative perspective, including desired flow of traffic and movement throughout the space, signage, and creative elements. Translate the vision into a working floorplan to aid in exhibit sales.
- Provide floorplan designs to team members to ensure appropriate set-up /capacity for events.
- Liaise with clients when needed to determine space and logistics requirements for their exhibits or special activations.
- Work with GLOBE Series team members to ensure logistical needs are met for conference activities, exhibitors, B2B program, media, marketing, volunteers, etc.
- Source and maintain current lists of potential venues in a variety of cities for large and small events as required.
- Work with senior management to help define event attendee value proposition and establish pricing.
- Assist with identifying business opportunities to grow future events.
- Use a Customer Relationship Management Database to manage client/attendee/vendor/customer contact information.
- A degree or diploma in Commerce or Business Administration with a specialization in event management, project management or a related field. Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) or equivalent designation would be a tremendous asset.
- At least ten years experience managing large scale events. Past experience managing conferences and/or expos within the Vancouver market is a strong asset to the role.
- At least three to five years of leadership experience managing successful large-scale events and overseeing internal staff.
- Must be an effective and tough negotiator.
- Must have an open-minded and collaborative management style, and thrive in a team environment.
- Must be extremely well organized with an outstanding ability to multitask and meticulous attention-to-detail.
- Naturally creative with a strong desire to innovate, try new things, and bring visions to life.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to effectively communicate relevant project information to peers and vendors with a high level of accuracy and timeliness.
- Computer savvy with proficiency in Microsoft Office, including project management tools and EXCEL.
- Strong customer service capabilities and a desire to go above and beyond.
- Ability to meet deadlines, and manage a dynamic range of competing priorities.
- Must be able to keep your cool and maintain a sense of humour under pressure with the ability to troubleshoot critical issues in a timely fashion.
Please include your resume and cover letter with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Delphi is an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put into place.