Term of Position: Full Time
Closing Date: November 24, 2021, 11:00 pm EST
Location: Flexible work arrangements, with offices in Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Victoria or Vancouver
The Delphi Group (Delphi.ca) is seeking a Consultant or Senior Consultant – Forest Carbon to lead and support client projects related to GHG emissions and removals in the forest sector and help Delphi
to grow this part of our business. This includes projects related to forest carbon inventories (both land- based and throughout the wood product value chain), forest carbon offsets, climate change strategies related to the forest sector, the role of the forest sector in helping achieve net zero, innovative technologies and practices in the forest sector, and policy, regulations, and standards affecting forest carbon. It could also include broader sustainability areas related to the forest sector, such as biodiversity, in the future. The Consultant / Senior Consultant – Forest Carbon would work with Delphi’s Senior Management team and Consultants and Analysts across the company’s service areas to deliver high quality and innovative solutions to clients.
The successful candidate will be expected to proactively and independently apply project management, client relations, research and analysis, and business development skills and experience in the performance of a range of consulting duties. The role requires excellent client support abilities, including clear communications, analytical and strategic competencies, and an appetite for taking the initiative around opportunities as they present themselves, all building on several years of previous experience in the forestry sector and ideally in a consulting-type role.
Consultants / Senior Consultants are expected to support or take the lead on tasks related to the on- going internal management of Delphi’s business when assigned by Senior Management, participate in the company’s corporate responsibility activities, and undertake administrative tasks as requested.
The best candidates will be comfortable applying a strategic and technical lens to challenging projects that require an appreciation for client context, business strategies, policy considerations, systems effects, social impacts, and emerging trends in sustainability, ESG, corporate purpose and clean technology. Opportunities to enhance candidates already excellent visual, written and oral communication skills for both qualitative and quantitative topics will abound in this role.
Research, Analysis & Projects
Specific Project Responsibilities
- Serve as the forest sector expert on the Delphi team, including providing in-depth understanding of forest sector operational practices
- Lead / be a key resource for the quantification of GHG emissions and removals associated with the forest sector and associated value chain
- Contribute to the development of standards and best practice related to forest carbon accounting
- Perform and/or oversee technical staff perform emission reduction feasibility studies and clean technology assessments related to the forest sector.
- Consider the implications of policy and legislation when preparing analyses for projects and organizations
- Coordinate with other team members to effectively bring company-wide expertise into client projects appropriate for the client’s needs.
- Under guidance from senior management, lead projects of various sizes commensurate with experience.
- Efficiently and effectively oversee / complete client deliverables, including the preparation of analysis, research, reports, presentations, and other project tasks as needed, delegating (or not) as appropriate to balance workflow, support staff training and development goals, etc.
- Provide expert peer review / quality assurance on projects.
- Take a lead role in maintaining ongoing communication with clients.
- Prepare and edit emails and reports, lead meetings, and make presentations.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times.
- Help to evaluate requests for proposals to determine if a bid should be submitted, considering tactical, strategic, and competitiveness dimensions.
- Lead or be a key contributor to the development of proposals, including judging the type of response format needed, writing the proposal, and for larger bids working with the broader Delphi team to assemble the proposal efficiently and on-time.
- Take a proactive approach to promoting Delphi’s accomplishments and projects through individual marketing, and participation and presentations at related conferences and events.
- Play a key role in helping to evaluate the market opportunity for Delphi related to forest carbon and help to develop an associated business strategy.
- Take the lead / play a key role in client discussions to effectively scope potential new project opportunities, including assessing client needs and recommending an appropriate workplan and budget.
- Contribute to meeting the company’s annual sales target.
- Contribute to Delphi marketing activities as requested, e.g., blog posts, social media.
- Preparation and delivery of presentations for technical and non-technical audiences of various kinds as warranted by client projects
- Use clear, professional, and effective communication with colleagues when working on projects, and with clients when presenting results.
- A university degree in forestry, engineering, or equivalent
- Knowledge of and experience with forest industry practices
- Knowledge of and experience with forest carbon accounting approaches
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong project management and team management skills
Please submit your cover letter/resume through the recruitment portal at http://delphi.zohorecruit.com and complete the associated pre-screening assessment. The pre-screening assessment examines a candidate’s experience/skills for the role and mitigates any unconscious identity bias during our initial screening process. During this assessment, you should avoid including any identifying information, such as references to gender, geographic location, nationality, and/or age.
If you pass the initial pre-screening assessment, your cover letter/resume will be reviewed by the hiring committee. The most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview process with hiring committee members. If you have any questions about this process, kindly direct your enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.