Leading Change is assembling a volunteer Steering Committee of youth and young professionals to support its existing operations and provide guidance on new programs. If you are between the ages of 19-35 and passionate about accelerating the transition to a sustainable, prosperous, and socially just future, then we encourage you to apply!
Being a member of Leading Change’s Steering Committee provides an opportunity to:
- Gain leadership and governance experience with a national not-for-profit
- Provide input and direction during an exciting phase in the organization’s development
- Engage directly with sustainability leaders working in the private, public, and social sectors
- Challenge and expand your perspective by working with stakeholders across different industries, disciplines, sectors, perspectives, ideological beliefs, and generations
About the Leading Change Canada Steering Committee
The role of the Leading Change Steering Committee is to (1) provide feedback and guidance for consideration by the Board of Directors, and (2) support the Leading Change Manager in the successful execution of programs.
The committee will be comprised of individuals who fall within Leading Change’s target demographic of Canadians who are 19-35 years of age. An alumni representative (35+) may also be included as an additional advisor and bridge to Leading Change’s mid-career alumni.
Committee members are expected to take on a volunteer organizing role at Leading Change fora, events, and new programs in development. Travel, accommodation, registration, and related expenses for program support are covered by Leading Change.
The time commitment is estimated to range from 10 – 30 hours a month depending on the time of year and activities.
What we’re looking for in Steering Committee members
We are looking for four to six dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds to form Leading Change’s first Steering Committee. For capacity building and continuity, it is expected that Steering Committee members can commit to serving a minimum 12-month term with the possibility of renewing for up to a maximum of three years.
Steering Committee members will be selected based on the organization’s current priorities and fit with the skill sets of other members.
We are not recruiting for specific roles. Instead, we are looking for dedicated individuals who can roll up their sleeves to help support tasks in one or more of the following areas
- Event management and logistics
- Member and delegate coordination
- Speaker outreach and event program design
- Sponsorship and fundraising
- Marketing and communications
Specific areas of expertise that we’re looking for include
- Social media management
- Photography, video and / or audio production
- Community organizing and building movements, particularly with youth
- Program design and facilitation
- Sustainability-related subject matter expertise
- English to French translation skills
General characteristics we appreciate in candidates
- Curiosity and an appreciation for the complexity associated with pressing sustainability issues
- Humility and an ability to quickly learn and iterate when faced with set-backs
- Innovative thinking and a willingness to voice a dissenting opinion in a group setting
Leading Change values and encourages the contributions of individuals who identify as members of underrepresented communities in positions of leadership or power (black, Indigenous, persons with disability, visible minorities, LGBTQI2+). We recognize that structural barriers shape experiences and opportunities and take this into consideration with screening and selection decisions.
We commit to making every effort to maintain diversity in gender, location, age, identity, and experiences in final Steering Committee composition.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a one-page letter of motivation and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be received and reviewed on a rolling basis until positions are filled. The first round of application review will begin July 29, 2019. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.
Interviews with finalist will be conducted throughout August and September with a target of onboarding Steering Committee members by September 6, 2019.
We thank everyone in advance for their applications. Only select candidates will be contacted.
About Leading Change Canada
Leading Change is a national not-for-profit organization supporting Canadians between the ages of 19-35. Its mission is to activate and accelerate young professional leadership for positive environmental, social, and economic impact. The organization is part of a constellation of sustainability-focused organizations that includes The Delphi Group, GLOBE Series, and EXCEL Partnership. They share a common vision: to achieve a sustainable, prosperous, and socially just future in a generation.
For more information, please visit www.leadingchangecanada.com