Download a copy of our draft Conference Program by clicking the link below:
GLOBE Capital is honored to welcome Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynn to give the theme address “Financing the 21st Century”. She will offer a vision for investing in sustainable infrastructure, communities and technologies to catalyze equitable prosperity, before being joined for a fireside chat interview with The Honourable Catherine McKenna.
- Caio Koch-Weser Chair European Climate Foundation (Commissioner, New Climate Economy, Former Vice Chairman of Deutsche Bank and German Deputy Minister of Finance)
A strategic global analysis of capital risk and opportunity as economies transition to a low-carbon economy. Focusing on North American and international capital markets, Caio will shine a spotlight on profiting from investment innovation.
A C-Suite panel focused on clean growth performance. Canadian and United States have the opportunity to enhance productivity and growth while simultaneously addressing climate change. The session will take deep dive into investment in resilient and low-carbon infrastructure to catalyze new jobs, a cleaner environment and thriving communities. The panel will also explore how to attract pools of capital through...
Infrastructure investment in the spheres of transportation, water, energy, and information communication technology (ICT) are poised to boom. This dynamic and interactive session will explore how mega-trends such as digitization are expected to impact these investment decisions – and how these trends are already playing out in cities and corporations around the world.
The Financial Stability Board’s (FSB) Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) was launched in December 2015. Their objective is to develop recommendations for more efficient and effective climate-related disclosures to promote more informed investment, credit, and insurance underwriting decisions and enable stakeholders to better understand the concentrations of carbon-related assets in the financial sector and the financial system’s exposure to climate-related...
- Paul Clements-Hunt Founder The Blended Capital Group
- Steve S. J. Lee Executive Director Foundation for Environmental Stewardship
- Elizabeth (Lisa) Demarco Senior Partner DeMarco Allen LLP
- Jory Cohen Director, Social Finance & Investment Inspirit Foundation
- John H. Walker Managing Director Kensington Capital Partners
- Chantal Sorel Managing Director, Capital SNC Lavalin
- Andrea Moffat Vice President Ivey Foundation
Investing in sustainable and smart infrastructure runs the risk of locking-in incumbent technology. Should we just wait or invest now despite the risk? What opportunity cost does waiting entail?
- Michael Sonnenfeldt Founder & Chairman Tiger 21
- Nathaniel Gorence Technology-to-Market Advisor Advanced Research Projects Agency Energy (ARPA-E)
- Christian Zabbal Managing Director SpringPoint Capital
- Daniel Matross Senior Director, Strategic Programs CREO Syndicate
- Jérôme Nycz Executive Vice President BDC Capital
The global cleantech market is expected to reach $3 trillion by 2020. Canadian cleantech firms have the talent and solutions to compete on an international stage. However, securing funding past the initial start-up phase in order to commercialize and deploy their solutions at scale continues to pose challenges. In this session, hear from the front line about innovative financing approaches...
- Jeffrey Schub Executive Director Coalition for Green Capital
- Christopher Flensborg Head of Climate and Sustainable Financial Solutions Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken (SEB)
- Yao Wang Director General of International Institute of Green Finance (IIGF), and the Director of the Research Center for Climate and Energy Finance (RCCEF) Central University of Finance and Economics (CUFE)
- The Honourable Charles Sousa Minister of Finance Ontario Government
- Sarah Baker Head of North American Strategic Engagement London Stock Exchange Group
2016 was a banner year for investments in Clean-tech, Green-tech, and Infrastructure-tech. The green bond market alone doubled to US$93 billion. Green finance will continue to accelerate the transition to clean energy and low-carbon growth, and Canada’s highly concentrated financial system is poised to benefit from the associated opportunities. Panelists will profile the performance of green banks and a spectrum...
- John M. Beck President & CEO Aecon Group Inc.
- Laurie Mahon Managing Director & Co-Head, Global Infrastructure and Power, Global Investment Banking CIBC Capital Markets
- Olivia Steedman Managing Director, Greenfield Investments & Value Creation Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan (OTPP)
- Bruce Anderson Managing Director, Project Finance and Infrastructure Manulife Financial
- Glenn Campbell Executive Director, Canada Infrastructure Bank Transition Office Infrastructure Canada
The Canadian Infrastructure bank is being designed as an arm's-length organization dedicated to increasing investment in growth-oriented infrastructure. The goal of the Bank is to bring in private capital to transform the way the country plans, designs and finances major infrastructure projects, moving beyond the traditional P3 model. This is less about being a bank – and more about being...
- The Honourable Navdeep Singh Bains Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Government of Canada
GLOBE Capital is honoured to welcome the Honourable Bob Chiarelli, Ontario Minister for Infrastructure, and the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities. From a vantage point of leadership, the Ministers shall share the strategic infrastructure and investment approach of Ontario and Canada.
Michael Liebreich of Bloomberg New Energy Finance one of the leading thinkers on clean energy and clean technology, will provide his perspective on the scope of the investment opportunity, emerging trends, and the changing nature of risk and opportunity in this market.
- Renée Beaumont Partner Generation Investment Management
- Justin Johnson Head, Global Strategic Markets MMR, LLC
- Emma Howard Boyd Chair & Vice-Chair Environment Agency Board & Future Cities Catapult
- Lou Ragagnin Senior Vice President, Operations CPA Canada
- Josué Tanaka Managing Director, Operational Strategy and Planning, Energy Efficiency and Climate Change The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
This session will explore the financial mechanisms, policy frameworks, and incentives needed to enable the transition to a low-carbon economy at speed and scale; emphasizing leadership.
Two-fifths of the growing cleantech and low-carbon market is expected to come from emerging and developing countries. These emerging economies represent a huge potential market for Canadian products and services, but also present a unique set of challenges. This session will explore how the risks associated with these projects can be managed, and how solution providers can build strong partnerships...
Investing in adaptation measures is essential if we are going to minimize the economic and social risks associated with climate change. This session explores whether the level of investment and speed of deployment at the federal and provincial levels is adequate to protect Canadians. Speakers will also provide an overview of best practices and lessons learned from other progressive jurisdictions...
Infrastructure is strongly correlated with the growth potential of an economy. This session will answer the following question “What criteria ensures infrastructure is both more resilient and sustainable across its life cycle?” along with exploring: The barriers and opportunities associated with investing in sustainable infrastructure in the United States and Canada; New sources of capital, in addition to innovative investment...
The Munk style format will pit two panelists arguing for the emergence of Canada as a Cleantech Super Power and two panelists arguing against that motion. The audience, by casting a vote at the start of the debate and again at the conclusion of the debate decides the winner.
High-performance technologies, new materials, and advanced design is shaking up the global construction industry. The results appear enormously positive: more resilient, energy efficient and environmentally friendly buildings and built-environments. How can these opportunities be scaled-up and accelerated through strategy, design and investment?
Raising capital is an important step in the migration along the innovation continuum as companies are looking to facilitate growth and scale for Clean Technologies. The CEOs of several cleantech ventures share their experiences trying to raise capital for development, demonstration and deployment, and offer constructive thoughts on how to bridge the funding gap that is limiting opportunity for Canadian...