Conference Program Manager
The GLOBE Series Conference Program Manager is responsible for the overall content development and execution of all Conference programming under the GLOBE Series Conference umbrella (includes GLOBE Forum and GLOBE Capital events, plus other smaller events in between).
This is a highly strategic role that requires ongoing engagement with very senior-level industry, government and clean technology leaders, working independently and with numerous partners to develop sessions and workshops for our various conferences. The role requires research and identification of global environment and business-related trends; assembling high quality, dynamic, thought-provoking, and industry leading program content; and securing upwards of 200 speakers for our larger events.
This role requires a unique individual who is not only a ‘big picture’ and strategic thinker with deep ‘new economy’ and environmental sustainability knowledge, but also has the administrative chops and project management skills to be able to manage the immense number of details required to develop world-class Conference programs. As you’ll be liaising directly with hundreds of very high profile speakers and partners, your communication skills must be exemplary, both written and verbal.
Diplomacy, sound judgement, and a mind for ‘connecting the dots’ – combined with a highly critical eye for detail and ability to work extremely well in a small team environment – will lead to great success in the role.
The Program Manager reports directly to the COO.
- Work closely with GLOBE Executive to manage the GLOBE Conference’s strategic direction and all related Conference program development activities.
- With support from a Program Coordinator, lead extensive research on current trends, issues, and key players related to GLOBE Conference topics (in areas including energy, responsible resource management, resilient cities and infrastructure, corporate sustainability, water, and finance);
- Define leading-edge topics to be addressed at various events and develop compelling and innovative session titles, descriptions, and formats as part of the program development initiatives;
- Write compelling speaker/keynote invitation letters and follow-up on outstanding invitations as required;
- Recruit senior business executives, government officials, and thought leaders from around the world as part of the 200+ speakers that participate in GLOBE’s flagship Conference;
- Communicate directly with senior executives and their staff in corporations and governments on issues surrounding their participation at the events;
- As a content expert, you will assist with development and execution of various marketing initiatives, sponsorship, and strategic partnerships with key organizations; liaising with the GLOBE marketing team to help support delegate and sponsorship sales;
- Manage quality control for all materials related to the overall conference program, ensuring names, job titles, affiliations are correct and session descriptions are accurate and compelling
- Manage onsite operations and logistics related to conference programming, including onsite Speaker Services Centre; room set-up; session room Powerpoints, etc.
- Oversee training for new conference program personnel (as required).
- The successful candidate has deep content knowledge in environmental sustainability (i.e. years of experience; you consider yourself highly knowledgeable and are known for your work in this field; you have probably attended one of our GLOBE events in the past).
- A minimum of 7-10 years related work experience in the sector.
- A broad network in Canada and/or internationally in environmental business and/or policy is essential. Environmental consulting experience would be an asset.
- Working knowledge around a broad range of sustainability-related issues, for example, stakeholder engagement, CSR reporting, corporate strategy development, clean technologies and markets, climate change, water management, green building, etc.
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) and a diplomatic nature. Able to establish new partnerships with synergistic groups that help build GLOBE’s program, scope and brand.
- Experience designing conference programming for sustainable business events ideal.
Please do not apply if you have no experience in the sector – you will not be considered. This role is not suitable for an event planner; it’s best suited to a content expert with some experience planning conferences or high-level meetings.
Please send resumes with cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.